This ketogenic diet coconut crusted chicken dish is a tropical burst on a winter’s night. Shredded coconut flakes that stick with egg makes up the keto breading, then is crisped up in the pan. Add to that a spicy, fatty, sweet dipping sauce a la Swerve sweetener, coconut milk, and sriracha. Adapted from a non-keto recipe by Ali Slagle, this recipe is a slice of keto heaven.
Ketogenic Diet Ratio Info
This keto coconut crusted chicken recipe is a 3.78:1 ketogenic diet ratio naturally, and can easily be tweaked to be a higher ketogenic diet ratio or a much lower one with recipe subs and additions.
How to Make Keto Coconut Crusted Chicken a Higher Keto Ratio
Suggestions to make this recipe a higher ketogenic ratio are to add some heavy liquid cream or oil to the dip. Or, you can serve the cream as a drink on the side watered down to milk-like consistency to cool down after the spicy dip. Need to add more calories? Adding a cup of
Another easy way to increase the ratio of this keto coconut crusted chicken recipe is to add a fat bomb for dessert.
How to Make Keto Coconut Crusted Chicken a Lower Keto Ratio
To make Keto Coconut Crusted Chicken a lower ketogenic diet ratio, add some add some cauliflower rice and/or steamed non-starchy veggies on the side. For example, adding 100g of sugar snap peas (raw or cooked) to this recipe per serving would make it a 3.25:1 ketogenic diet ratio. This adds about 5g of net carbs and 33 calories, and a nice 2.6g of fiber.
Another easy way to lower the ketogenic diet ratio of this recipe is to add a dessert. Some coconut cream mango pudding would go great with this recipe to continue the tropical theme throughout the meal.
Shredded coconut doesn’t stick great to the chicken. I found the dried coconut strands fell off at spots while cooking. Pulsing the shredded coconut in a food processor to more finely shred the coconut helps it stick better. This creates a crisped chicken with less holes in the breading.
If you don’t like spicy dips, another high-fat dip could easily sub in for the coconut sriracha Swerve dip here. Same ingredients, but add zested lime, subtract the sriracha would work great and add an extra zing of lime to the mix.
Let me know what you think in the comments!
Keto Coconut Crusted Chicken
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tsp lime zest (from 1 lime)
- 14 ounces full fat canned unsweetened coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp Swerve brown sugar
- 1/2 cup xanthan gum
- 2 tsp lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1.5 cups grapeseed oil
- 1 lb chicken (dark or white)
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes and set aside.
- Place shredded coconut in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, combine lime zest and salt. Rub mix together until it smells like lime.
- In another bowl, combine coconut milk, sriracha, and Swerve, stirring until well combined. Transfer 1/2 of the coconut milk mix to a medium bowl. Add xanthan gum and stir to combine. With the remaining coconut milk mix, add the lime juice. This will be the dipping sauce- set aside.
- Heat 1/4 of oil in a skilled over medium heat. Coat chicken in xanthan-coconut milk mix, and then coat in all sides with shredded coconut. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with lime salt. Serve with dipping sauce.
Enjoyed this recipe? Get your free copy of “Top 10 Tasty Low Carb Wraps,” and more great ketogenic diet info by signing up for my e-mail list here.